JavaScript must be enabled on your browser for this PAC to work properly.

Oak Hill Public Library
About the Library
Community Profile
Library Catalog
Local History & Roots
Services We Provide
Oak Hill Schools
Welsh Museum
Youth News
Ohio Web Library
Over Drive
Get a Library Card
Heritage Quest
Ohio Job & Family Services
Ohio Veterans Bonus
State of Ohio
Auditor of State
Ohio Dept. of Taxation
Southeastern Ohio Legal Services
auto repair
Educational Videos Khan Academy
Village of Oak Hill
Oak Hill Chamber of Commerce
Ohio Benefits Bank
Voter Registration Check
Obama Care/Health Insurance Marketplace
Help Obama Care/health insurance
oplin-primary school
oplin-secondary school
Oplin search
Supreme Court of Ohio - Domestic Relations and Juvenile Standardized Forms):
For Power of Attorney/Living Will/Advanced Directives
Supreme Court of Ohio - Probate Forms
Senior & Assisted Living in Ohio
Village of Oak Hill links
Legal Help
Senior Care
Govenor''s Office of Workforce Transformation Finder Tool

Know It Now!
Welsh-American Heritage Musuem
Founded 1971 and located in the Old Welsh Congregational Church, 412 East Main Street, Oak Hill, Ohio.
  • To foster family ties throughout the world
  • To collect and preserve records, relics, heirlooms and traditions
  • To preserve for all time as a heritage museum possession the old welsh church in Oak Hill, Ohio.
  • To permit civic minded organizations use of edifice
In 1818, six families from the Cilcennin area set sail from Aberaeron, Wales to the United States. After a long and wretched journey across the atlantic, they hired covered wagons for another long and hazardous trek across the mountains to Pittsburg. There they placed their meager possessions on crude rafts and journeyed down the Ohio River - their destination was to have been the frontier town of Paddy's Run. After traveling 250 miles they ran out of provisions and tied up their rafts near the French settlement of Gallipolis where they were made welcome for the night. Whether it was the storm or the travel - weary women who cut loose the ropes that night, no one knows, but the travelers never reached their destination. Some of the men become involved in building roads near Thurman and then on to Oak Hill. The area reminded them so much of their native Cilcennin that they decided to settle there.
In 1839, hundreds gathered at Aberaeron Harbour as friends and relatives said their last goodbyes to 175 who were emigrating to the United States, there was considerable wailing and weeping as the boats sailed out of the harbor. Four young men led the singing of a hymn at the quayside, "Bydd Melys glanio draw Nol'n Bod o Don I Don, a mi Rol ffarwel maes draw ir ddaear hon."
The museum not only strives to keep welsh traditions alive but continues to be a link with the land of the Red Dragon with visits and programs between people here and people in Wales.
News of the happenings at the museum are printed in the Welsh Newsletter, Ninnau, that is read in both Wales and the United States.
The museum is a living museum - a place where people can come and feel the very essence of our heritage: a heritage that links us with the land of Wales with every welsh hymn we sing and every welsh oriented event we attend.
For information contact: Jeanne Jones Jindra Director, Madog Center for Welsh Studies PO Box 500 University of Roi Grande/Rio Grande Community College Rio Grande, Ohio 45674 800-282-7201 ext 7186 740-245-7187 fax


Powered by: YouSeeMore © The Library Corporation (TLC) Catalog Home Top of Page